Saturday, February 17, 2007

Spin dryer

I just bought a spin dryer (the larger one on the bottom) from "The Laundry Alternative". I'm very happy with it.

What's a spin dryer? Well, you take your clean, wet clothes from the washing machine and put them in the spin dryer, and it spins them up to 3200 RPM (less for the smaller model). This causes the water in your clothes to escape to the outsides of the spinning drum, where it pours through and exits the machine. In other words, it centrifuges your clothes dry. Spin dryers are more popular in other countries, but in the US they're mainly only used at gyms, to quickly dry swimsuits.

How do you use it? It couldn't be easier. You place your clean wet clothes from the washer into the spin dryer, making sure to distribute them evenly so it won't be unbalanced. You then close the lid and turn it on. (The one I bought is turned on by sliding a large latch over the lid so it can't be opened while on.) Water starts to come out of a spout on the device 20 or 30 seconds later, and you let it run until the steady stream of water levels off to occasional droplets, about 3 or 4 minutes total.

How well does it work? Well, it's not intended to be your only drying device, so it should be evaluated as what it is: a supplement. 100% cotton garments come out about half dried, and need to either be machine dried or air dried further. My 50% cotton, 50% polyester T-shirts come out about 90% dry, and simply placing them on a clothes hanger and hanging them up to air out resulted in them being dry to the touch in about 5 to 10 minutes. (I'd let them air longer before putting them away to ensure that excess moisture won't cause problems in the closet, but if I needed something to wear in a hurry, that'd do the job.) A similarly 50/50 button-down shirt got similar results. A 100% nylon shirt I placed in the machine came out dry to the touch - I would have been willing to put it on at once.

So why should you bother, when you have a perfectly good dryer already? Firstly, it saves energy. Because your clothes come out of it much dryer than they came out of the washer, they spend much less time in your gas or electric dryer, so you use less energy running it. Secondly, it saves time: When things dry faster, you get them out of the dryer sooner. And third, if you have some fully synthetic clothes, you might not need to do any further drying after running them through the spin dryer. And finally, if you have a pool, it really is ideal for quickly drying swimsuits after swimming - particularly if you have guests, so they can have their suits dry in minutes instead of having to carry them home wet in a plastic bag.

Spin dryers are a great idea for saving energy and time, and the one I bought is, so far, just wonderful. It has a nice big drum (it can take about half a load from my washer), it's fairly quiet (It's by no means silent but I could easily talk over it without shouting and it's hard to hear from the next room), and it's very easy to use.

I am not compensated in any way to endorse this product, I am a satisfied customer.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Jake said...

Did you have a good experience ordering from The Laundry Alternative? I've read so many complaints about them I'm reluctant to buy something from them.

 
At November 8, 2007 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I ordered a spin dryer from the laundry alternative. The price seemed good. And I needed one. I ordered via credit card and got a confirmation email but no other shipping email. I waited 5 days and sill nothing. I called the company and there is a standard voice mail, no indications as to whether it is laundry alternative or some other company. So I left a message any way and sent them an email. 2 days later I got a reply to my email with a link to a ups shipping number. I checked it and it was bogus...it didint work. The company stated in the email that there must have been a problem with the shipping and that they were looking into it. I also called ups with the shipping number and they did say that the delivery day was on the day I called, but could not tell me anything else. I had to call the company (laundry alternative) and ask then to call ups and then they would ask for an investigation to be done. So 10 days later no call from the company only one email and just before writing this, I have canceled my order and demanded a complete refund. If I dont get a reply from then by today...I'm calling the better business bureau in Vermont about their shoddy practices..............I would recommend taking your business elswhere.

 
At December 21, 2007 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Pam in Maine said...

I ordered the large spin-dryer from The Laundry
Alternative 4 days ago and it arrived today. Not bad for shipping a few days before Christmas. The spin-dryer works great. I had one before and was happy with that one too. I had bought it from a different company about 5 years ago. The spin-dryer only lasted about 6 months before it died. I noticed that the one I just got doesn't say anything about a warranty in the instruction book. Hopefully this one is better made then the last one.

 
At September 25, 2008 at 12:02 PM , Blogger ugid said...

I assume the reason for people (who have machines) buying a separate spin dryer is that that washing machines either (1) don't have spin cycles, or (2) the spin cycle cannot be operated independent of the wash/rinse cycles? Or do you use a separate spin dryer in addition to spinning your clothes in your washing machine (that already has a spin cycle?)?

 
At October 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I bought the first generation spin dryer from Laundry Alternative a few years ago. It lasted six months. It was made in, I believe, Pakistan and was a piece of &%$^%.

Then, I bought the second generation one from them... made in China. It hasn't lasted two years.

Spin dryers are great. The ones the Laundry Alternative sells are garbage. Save up for a Spin X instead.

 
At November 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Sleepy-Moo said...

I've been wondering. Doesn't a spin dryer cause more work with the ironing ?
I remember my mom had one for years and the clothes always looked even more wrinkled than after the normal spin cycle the washing machine did or after drying in the dryer.

 
At January 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

You're right about "totally" synthetic clothing not needing further drying after spinning. My work wardrobe is exclusively made of "slinky" fabric. After spinning for 4 minutes, it is DRY!!! I luvs my spinner (and my Wonder Wash).

 
At January 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

P.S. I ordered both the washer and spinner through Amazon.

 
At October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should have purchased your spin dryer from http://www.clothesdrygreen.com They are a great company and have a great reputation - similar product too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home